Off-Campus Housing Legal Consultation Services


About Off-Campus Legal Consultation Services

The Student Union Assembly, in partnership with the Dean of Students and the UC Legal/ UCSC Office of Campus Counsel, is pleased to provide UCSC students with access to free legal consultation services related to off-campus, non-UCSC housing issues. 

If you need help understanding your lease agreement or are experiencing a dispute with a landlord, Off-Campus Legal Consultation Services is available to you through McManis Law

After you fill out the intake form above, a member of the Dean of Students Office will reach out to you within two business days to provide you with an appointment link to connect with an attorney at McManis over zoom. At the first meeting, the attorney will consult with you about the issues that you are experiencing, and you will receive a consultation about your legal rights and obligations, and advice on potential next steps. These services are free of charge and students may receive two consultations per each legal issue.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Do students pay for these services?
    • No, this is a free legal consultation service for students.
  • Can I seek advice about non-housing issues?
    • No, this service is designed to provide legal consultation about non-UCSC, off-campus housing related issues.
  • What can I expect when I speak with an attorney?
    • Consultations will give you information about your legal rights and obligations, and advise you about potential next steps. You might also be directed to other appropriate resources depending on what is needed to assist you in your particular situation.
  • How long will the consultation last?
    • Depending on your needs, consultations can be up to 45 minutes each.
  • How many times can I speak with an attorney?
    • Students may receive up to two consultations for each legal issue. If a student has multiple, discrete issues, it is possible to provide additional consultations. Consultations are capped at five per year for any individual student.
  • If I am living with my family, can they receive support from Off-Campus Legal Consultation Service?
    • Yes, if your family member resides with you, they may access the service for non-UCSC, off campus housing issues.
  • Can I use Off-Campus Legal Consultation Service for off-campus housing disputes that involve other UCSC students or non-affiliates?   
    • It depends on the specific situation. Contact the Dean of Students Office at to set up an intake appointment to determine if McManis Law can support you with your particular issues.  You may also seek support from the UCSC Conflict Resolution Office
  • Can I use this service for disputes with on-campus housing or UCSC off-campus housing?
    • No, Off-Campus Legal Consultation Service is for non-UCSC, off-campus housing issues only. 
  • Is this service available to UCSC employees?
    • Only in instances in which the employee is living with the student and experiencing the same housing issue. However, employees have access to the ARAG legal insurance benefit program called Legal Now. Call 1-800-255-3352 for more information.