Alcohol and Other Drug Use
- BASICS is a confidential, non-confrontational, motivational, harm reduction intervention to help students reduce AOD consumption and related consequences.
- Includes two confidential meetings with a UCSC Alcohol & Other Drug (AOD) Educator
- The first session normally takes 20 to 30 minutes; 2nd meeting normally takes 45 to 60 minutes to complete
- The AOD Educator will assist students to schedule the second appointment during the first session
- Requires completion of an online survey with personalized feedback that the student and facilitator discuss during the second session; the survey is assigned at the first meeting.
- A $50 fee applies for students who are sanctioned to complete BASICS and will be charged to the student's UCSC account under "Health Program".
- If you have questions or concerns about your individual meetings, contact the SHOP at 459-1417 or email SHOP@ucsc.edu.
- If you require disability related accommodations to participate in BASICS, please contact the Disability Resource Center at 459-2089 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who do not show for their appointment and/or who do not contact SHOP at least 24 hours in advance to cancel/reschedule an appointment will be charged the standard $50 fee for BASICS. If/when those students complete BASICS, there would be no additional fee.
- Student must show up ON TIME for the appointment or they may be required to reschedule.
- Participation by the student is essential to an effective process. If the student is unable or unwilling to engage in an honest and respectful manner, then the AOD Educator has the option of referring the student back to the Adjudicator - to determine whether or not an optional sanction would be more appropriate
- Student who attend either session under the influence of alcohol and/or any other drug will be asked to leave the session and return to their Adjudicator for direction.
» Schedule an individual meeting